The British radio station Radio 4 has a famous and popular program, Desert Island Discs, where guests are asked to choose the eight records they would take with them on a desert island.
When I was a young student living in England and then three years later in Scotland, I enjoyed listening to this program. Strangely enough I have never listened to it in France although podcasts now allow me to do it very easily.
However I think it is an interesting idea. Judging from my favorite mp3 playlist, I’d probably take something like:
– Romantisme hébraïque, a compilation of Jewish themes and music
– Continuo, by Avishai Cohen
– Barber’s Adagio for strings
– Well by the Klezmatics and Chava Alberstein
– Cello Suites by Johann Sebastian Bach
– A CD by the Swedish band Kent
– Pergolesi’s Stabat Mater
– Mozart’s or Fauré’s Requiem
What would you take?