With the Diamond Jubilee next weekend and the Olympics in the summer, the eyes of the world will be focused on the UK for a while. I thus suggest you test yourself and try to answer this quiz about British culture in 60 questions.
1. What are the nations that compose the UK?
2. What is England’s national flower?
3. How many inhabitants are there in England?
4. What is the most popular food in Britain?
5. What river flows in London?
6. What is the Tube?
7. What is a double-decker?
8. What is the name of the famous London clock?
9. Who is David Cameron?
10. Saint George is the patron saint of England. He was famous for killing something, what was it?
11. Where is the Rosetta Stone?
12. Where are the House of Lords and the House of Commons situated?
13. What is Madame Tussauds?
14. What is the British currency?
15. What is 221B Baker Street famous for?
16. Why is 10 Downing Street famous?
17. What is a bobby?
18. What village in Somerset is famous for its cheese?
19. What is the name of the British flag?
20. What is the town of Stratford upon Avon famous for?
21. What is Liverpool famous for?
22. What are the main two political parties? Are they right or left wing?
23. Which religious building did Christopher Wren build?
24. What is Hadrian’s Wall?
25. Who won the Battle of Trafalgar?
26. Who were Elizabeth the first’s parents?
27. Name Henry VIII’s six wives.
28. What is Harrods?
29. Name the four Beatles.
30. What did Forrest Mars invent in 1933?
31. Who is Nessie?
32. When is Poppy Day? What do the English celebrate?
33. When is Boxing Day? What do people do?
34. What do the letters BBC stand for?
35. What is a GP?
36. What is an MP?
37. What is the NHS?
38. What is the RSPCA?
39. What is the RAF?
40. In what book can you find the following quotation: “To be or not to be, that is the question.”
41. Who wrote Murder on the Orient Express?
42. Who wrote Robinson Crusoe?
43. Who wrote Pride and Prejudice?
44. Who wrote Oliver Twist?
45. Who wrote Animal Farm?
46. Who wrote Harry Potter?
47. Who wrote A Brave New World?
48. Who wrote The War of the Worlds?
49. Who wrote Frankenstein?
50. Who wrote Wuthering Heights?
51. When was the Queen born?
52. When was her coronation service held?
53. What is the name of the primary residence of the British monarch?
54. Name Queen Elizabeth’s four children.
55. Who was the Prime Minister when Queen Elizabeth acceded to the throne?
56. What is the motto of the British monarch?
57. Who is the only British monarch who has reigned longer than Queen Elizabeth?
58. What was Prince Philip’s religion before he married the Queen?
59. What is Queen Elizabeth’s favourite breed of dog?
60. Concerning the line of succession, what is the main difference between the British monarchy and the Swedish monarchy?